Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My New Love Of Footy

There’s no way I could do this sport justice in a single blog post. My choice of city to settle here in Australia was Melbourne which is also known as the capital of sport. The sheer number of stadiums here is astounding. The biggest passion here however is AFL footy - or maybe some of you may know it as Aussie Rules. Honestly it’s a fast paced sport that has all the hard hits like hockey but the constant action and scoring of basketball. Many of whom know me from back home probably wouldn’t describe me as the biggest sports fan - maybe I’d follow my home team in hockey, or an NFL team but not to the point of being a die hard fan. Boy did I ever get sucked into this!

Panorama of the Saints vs. Richmond Tigers June 1st
There are currently 18 teams in the AFL - but unlike in North America where teams are based out of a certain city, here most are based out of Melbourne’s different neighborhoods. What really got me into the sport is the die hard following each team has. Here you don’t necessarily pick who you support as families usually support teams through several generations (they even have baby jerseys and fan gear!). Each team also has a song which is then played whenever they win.
Melbourne Demons coming onto the field
I was in quite a predicament when I got here as everyone was trying to get me to support their respective team. The buddy of mine who introduced me to footy supports Melbourne and wanted to get me on his side. I soon found out they’re one of the worst teams, and quite frankly wasn’t drawn to them. Another close friend tried to get me on the Essendon Bombers but still it just didn’t feel right. My office had a strong Collingwood following - but you either love ‘em lots or hate them with a passion... too divisive! Finally I made my choice - the team that shared my Ottawa Sens’ colors and a catchy theme song - the Saint Kilda Saints. I get no love for my choice in teams, nobody I know supports them! But in all fun I can now shit talk my friends and co-workers after the barrage of jokes I get for my choice.
GWS Giants have a monks cheering squad - probably the most dedicated fanbase!
I’ve been to 3 live matches so far at both Etihad Stadium (seats about 53 000) and the MCG (seats 100 000) and spent countless weekends watching the matches on TV. The live experience is electric as fans from both teams show up decked out in their team’s colors - cheering and sometimes yelling at the umps or players. The best experience is when your team wins and you song comes on and all the supporters sing and clap along. Obviously it sucks when you lose - but hey you win some you lose some.
The season is now over - and it’s been a real nail biter! Sadly my team didn't make the playoffs, but hell I can still say it - GO SAINTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment (please try and keep it clean)