Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Jetstar No-Frills Experience - My Jetstar Review (Part 2)

If you’re just joining this program you’ve missed out on my excruciating booking experience, Amazing Race dash and my encounter with some special needs passengers. I highly suggest you go check out Part 1 to get the full story on my Jetstar Experience.

Long-Haul Experience:

Well, short flight done, time for the big one! For some reason I had to go through security again which is fine and then just my luck I got “randomly” selected for an explosives test. After a basic rubdown and pat down, which was NOWHERE as intimate as the Canadians do back home, I got through to Sydney’s International Terminal. Having gone through immigration and customs in Melbourne, I technically couldn’t leave the airport without officially re-entering the country. Now I had 7 hours to kill inside the airport... Thankfully the airport in Sydney is pretty much like a shopping centre loaded with shops, cafes, different food outlets. Sat at Mc’D’s for breakfast and lunch while talking with folks online, and reading the newspaper. Explored the shops but unfortunately Coach, Burberry, and Armani weren’t on my shopping list. I also couldn’t help but notice the abundance of condom selection in the airport men’s rooms. Seriously... ribbed, glow in the dark, flavoured! Can't help but wonder why they're there. Anyways I spent a lot of my time reading and wandering but then realized that my phone’s battery was dying and as my sole source of entertainment for my long-haul flight this CANNOT happen.

**Where to find power outlets**:
There are little to no power outlets to charge your toys in the international terminal. Look for the massage chairs as the few available can usually be found there. I found mine by the massage chairs near gates 8 and 9. There are only 2 so be prepared to wait for them.

Anyways my flight was approaching and I knew that I had to go grab a meal for my flight. I found a sandwich shop and then ducked into a newsstand for a couple of bags of chips and a bottle of coke. Here I thought I’d be saving money but food is actually cheaper on the plane... $17


$17 something for all of this, what a deal...
The flight was fine for the most part. What you would expect out of any long haul flight. While it’s nice to have a leather seat for the flight, there was little to no padding in the lower back area so I constantly had some guy’s knees jabbing into my back. There are no screens on the backs of the chairs so Jetstar offers you the option to pre-book an Ipad loaded with movies, TV shows and games for your flight for $12. I know that next time I will go for this as I saw a guy playing GTA on the Ipad in contrast to my Angry Birds... I was damn envious. Oh and if you didn’t pre-book one you’re screwed, as unless there’s some spare ones you’re not getting one. Thankfully there’s always sleep right? For this overnight flight unfortunately sleep was not an option as I was serenaded by a symphony of screaming and crying children. It was agonizing as at any point where my body would go into sleep mode I’d be jolted awake by a shriek from the seat behind me. I’d take pizza-face and her boyfriend any day as they can be tuned out with earphones...
We got to Hawaii on time and breezed through customs and immigration. No complaints.

Coming back was a breeze. Arrived at the airport 2hrs before my flight, breezed through security and had the chance to do all my duty-free shopping and enjoy an amazing BK Breakfast. I also had the chance to grab myself a meal for my long-haul flight back which was so much better than the one coming here but just as outrageously priced...

The flight coming back was pleasant. After noticing that I was completely surrounded by small children I was expecting the worst. Thankfully these parents were in control of their kids and the screaming and crying was kept to a bare minimum of takeoff and landing. I enjoyed many episodes of GI Joe, read my newspapers and enjoyed my CPK sandwich.

A truly awesome sandwich - people were envious. Too bad the sandwich itself was $11.50
Overall, I can’t necessarily complain too much about Jetstar. Both my baggage and I made it to and from our destination in one piece. Being a no-frills airline they certainly lived up to it offering nothing. Would I fly them again? Well if I had the choice - no. But if the price was right, or there was no other option then the answer is not yes but - fine I’ll do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment (please try and keep it clean)